Monday, July 5, 2010

Estoy aqui!















I wish I could go back in time and do something different with all the time and energy I spent worrying about coming here! But I guess that was all just part of the learning process as I grow into the world traveler that I want to someday be ;) Todo esta bien! Where to begin...

I had no trouble getting through immigration but found it funny that everyone from other countries besides America soared through a different line while all of the American citizens had to wait in various lines to show various documents and pay fees, etc. etc. Obama needs to work on our relationship with Bolivia because apparently something is off?

I was so happy to see the driver waiting for me with a big sign as soon as I emerged from the airport...I bypassed his handshake and gave him a big hug and kiss...he was like ¨who is this crazy woman?¨ To be honest, I thought he was a friend of Alix and otherwise may not have been so forward...but whatever, I was very happy to have someone waiting for me.

I am living with a very kind Bolivian family. We only speak Spanish in the house. There are 3 other women living there all from American and all wonderful. We have various levels of Spanish abilities and sometimes ¨cheat¨ and speak English with each other. One woman, Sharon, is a Spanish professor...she doesn´t let me cheat ;) The living accomodations are much better than I was expecting. No heat (and it gets very coold at night) but the beds are warm and Gloria (my Bolivian Mother) gave me a little space heater. There is hot water in the shower (thank the Lord) but it is tricky to get to and, once in, it is hard to get out and back into the cold air. I really cannot complain though...I love the way I am living here.

I am trying to capture the amazing views that are everywhere you look here in La Paz but, as usual, photos do no justice. The main Ave is along the lowest valley in the city and everything else is on a STEEP incline up to the moutain tops. You really can´t get lost because you can always just go downhill and get to the central ave. Well, I lied, I did get lost yesterday...but don´t tell my Mom! I had just completed a hike from El Alto all the way back down to the center of town with on of Alix´s friend, Dan de Germany. I promised him that I could find my way back home and we parted ways. I was doing ok...going on visual memory alone but soon accepted that I really had no idea where I was. My map was of no use because no streets are labled. After showing my map to two different women, I was able to find my way. The only scary part was the ramdom dogs following me periodically...I survived and am better for it ;)

The worst part about getting lost during the day in La Paz is that it means you will have to climb more than is absolutely necessary. I don´t think I am going to be able to run regularly but I am getting some crazy exercise just hiking up the steep streets that are unavoidable! Some are so steep that they are hard to even walk down without slipping!

Oh yea, as I predicted, I had no problem adjusting to the altitude! Maybe some mild shortness of breath after running up some stairs...but nothing major. I drank some coca tea as soon as I arrived which may have helped me avoid the ¨soroche¨ (altitude sickness). I definitely want to run a 5K as soon as I return to the states to take advantage of all my new red blood cells.

Too much to talk about and not enough time (I am at an internet cafe- 2 Bolivianos per hour= 25 cents). Today I went to the witches market and toured through town. Yesterday I visited one of Alix´s friends in El Alto to see if I can help him communicate verbally. He suffers from Neuro Cystercycosis (sp?) which is a worm that gets into the brain and causes terrible problems. He is a brilliant man and his mind and comprehension are fully intact. Unfortunatlly, he has some major physical disabilities including speech and swallowing. I worked with him for maybe 30 minutes before his sister insisted that he eat. The culture of health care is so different here. I had exercises transcribed into Spanish and reviewed them with his sister for him to do daily...I hope he does. He could do very well if he could have intense therapy daily. It was kind of depressing. I wanted to be able to help more or see him more frequently while here but it is not possible. He lives deep into El Alto and it is not safe for me to travel there alone. He is a very interesting man, went to Cambridge, opened the Speak Easy Institute with Alix, is writing his 4th book, etc. etc. He is not originally from Bolivia but married a Bolivian woman and now calls La Paz home.

Lots of pressure here because I know I can´t do justice to all that I am experiencing. I feel very fortunate to be living with a Bolivian family and have contacts with local people. I feel like I am getting the true picture of life here. I start classes tomorrow morning and am going to visit a place in El Alto that I may spent time volunteering. I houses incarcerated women who need education re: women´s issues. I´ll fill in more later. I am also going to talk to a woman tomorrow about working at a children´s ¨hospital¨ for disabled children. The organization is called ¨Para los Ninos¨. OK...i must get back before it´s too late....more soon. xoxoxoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Amy on successfully taking your first big step; jumping off the diving board so to speak!! How wonderful of you to provide us with a peek over your shoulder during the course of your latest adventure!! Thank you Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update!!!! Sounds like you are getting comfortable!

    ReplyDelete